Sunday, June 17, 2012

Let's here it for...


NEW YORK!

Over Memorial Day weekend, Nic and I headed east to the big apple! I hadn't been back in four years.....that is way too long! Our trip went too fast, but that is okay because Nic said we can visit again in two years! I am so glad he wants to see more of the city and be with my family! We hit the ground running as we landed at 7 AM Thursday morning. My mom's parents came and got us and we took them to breakfast. We then headed to their house to quickly unpack before Uncle G and Aunt Tre arrived. We did a quick drive by to my dad's parents house to say hi and then we were off! First stop, Nic had to go to the bakery in Jersey. He has had the crumb cake from here when my parents bring it back. Naturally, any sweet toothed man would need to go here. 
 Linzer tarts are my FAVORITE cookies! Oh, I wish we had a bakery here on the west coast that made these. Wait, I wish we had just one good bakery period out here! 

 Standing proud out front with our loot. Aunt Tre and Uncle G went back on Sunday for us and bought 6 crumb cakes, 2 cannoli's, and 2 linzer tarts to bring home! Yes, we somehow got them in our carry on's and back in one piece!
 Second stop, NYC! Here we are at 30 Rock. My Aunt Tre's second home (she works for NBC)

 We showed Nic around. We scurried our way throughout 30 Rock's building, St. Patrick's Cathedral (we lit a candle for the baby at St. Theresa's statue), showed Nic where the big tree is at Christmas and ice skating, the NBC store, and off to check in for Jimmy Fallon.

  We had a blast at Jimmy's show. We got the Aunt Tre privileges and treatment of sitting front row and meeting Jimmy and his band, The Roots, after taping. While we were waiting for Jimmy, I interviewed Nic on Jimmy's set, jk. 

  We met the band while waiting for Jimmy. They were all super nice and down to earth. They were wonderful. Jimmy came out and was in a hurry to get to his book signing but was sweet enough to take a few min. out and greet us. He is just like you and me. A regular guy who happens to be well known by many of us, but you would never know it! He forgot to say hi to me and went straight for the belly. Not going to lie, it was a little awkward but funny at the same time. 

 Ever since I was a little girl, I remember going with Aunt Tre, Uncle G, and my brother and playing on all the sets. Of course, we had to get Nic in on the fun too! Here we are pretending to host SNL! 




When we were little we called this the magic marker building! 
 After finishing our NYC day at the top of the Rock, 69th floor aka the roof of 30 Rockefeller Center, it was time to head back to Grandma and Grandpa's. Thank you for the wonderful time in the city! 

Friday:
We started breakfast at Goldberg's with Grandma Lois and Grandpa AJ, my mom's parents. Yes, this is the bagel place! I had a bagel with cream cheese and a yoohoo! Every pregnant woman's dream breakfast! Once we get a bakery in WA, can someone please open up a bagel place! A real bagel place not the nasty bagel's that are already served here. After breakfast, we went back to the house and waited for Aunt Kathy and Nicholas to pick us up. It was a day spent up in my old neck of the woods. We went and saw my old house, which looked quite different. However, I was surprised at how little had changed in the town. Then, we went to West Point and looked at the museum. The boys were in heaven with the history, guns, and old ammo. 

After West Point, we headed back to where my grandparents live where Grandma Sally and Grandpa Charlie joined us at Posa Posa for pizza!!! Nic did not know what to do with our east coast pizza. I taught him how to fold it and let the grease drip off. It was sooo good! So, after the bakery and bagel place, we must open a pizzeria! Thanks Aunt Kathy for a thoughtful and wonderful day!
After pizza, it was off to Jersey with Grandma Lois and Grandpa Aj to do some tax free shopping! I got spoiled and Nic only found a pair of shorts! When we finished, Aunt Toni was waiting for us at Grandma Lois and Grandpa Aj's. My grandparents live 5 min. from each other which makes things easy! We had dinner that night at Rocco's. When we go to NY, we go for family and food. Rocco's is our favorite dinner place! I always get the eggplant parm wedgie and eat lots of deep fried garlic knots! (I was starting to dread getting on the scale at the doctors the following week)

Saturday:
Grandma Lois and Grandpa AJ had everyone over for a BBQ and we celebrated Aunt Toni's bday! A big thanks for those that came in from Long Island, the city, and Johnny for driving down from Boston! It was so much fun to see my mom's side of the family! It isn't often that we are all able to get together which makes these moments that much more special. After the bbq, we were off to 16 handles where my cousin Joe works. It is like going to froyo. Aunt Toni had decided she was going back for birthday cake (with cannoli filling!) at the house so she would only sample the yogurt. Her sample cup was filled 14 times and somehow she managed a small bowl of yogurt too! It was hysterical! I wish they were all closer! 

 Sunday:
We had a bbq at Grandma Sally and Grandpa Charlie's! You are wondering why there are only 7 of us? My second cousins on this side live in upstate NY and that is a long drive! We had a wonderful time visiting and throwing in a surprise birthday cake for Aunt Kathy. Her birthday was this last Friday but since we were in town we celebrated over Memorial Day weekend too! She was not expecting that hahaha! 


Monday:
We gathered both sides together for breakfast and Aunt Tre and Uncle G took us back to Newark to head home. It was a whirlwind but well worth it! Next time we go, I told Nic I will go out for one week without him and he can join me the second week! I am feeling the need for a Jersey Shore trip! I love the shore! I wish Snookie hadn't ruined it! This trip made me realize how important and special family really is! Make sure to tell them all how much you love them! XOXO 

until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment