Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Challenges

When I adventured into cosmetology school, I wanted to be the best. I had the most request guests out of everyone in the school multiple months, sold the most product multiple months, but I set one goal for myself. I wanted to make the first stranger that sat in my chair a return request. I remember being so scared to take my first guest. I heard "Stevie your guest is in" and my hands started to sweat. I saw it was a guy which was great because I enjoy men's cuts! He kept coming to me the entire time I was in school until I became too busy and he couldn't get in. 


Recently, I completed ten months of dental assisting school. The last five weeks were an internship. Here we go again, I told myself I would get a job at whatever office I completed my internship at. I was halfway done when I realized it might not happen. I was assisting with a filling and she said to me, "So where are you going to work when you are done here?" Naturally, I said, "here?" She laughed and said, "like I need more help right now!" Hmph, I knew that was the case but I was still hoping! She gave me recommendations for other offices to work at. I went on an interview and almost got that position. I didn't get it because the office couldn't decide between three of us so they did majority rules and voted. How funny is that?!?! I finished my internship and realized there was serious competition out there for the VERY limited positions that were open. I called my internship site and asked if I could come in one day on my own time and learn front desk insurance stuff. The dentist said of course and so I did. I knew that if I was able to learn front office and back office that I was more valuable to where ever I found a job. Therefore, I had no problem volunteering my time learning. After I left the office for my day of front desk training, my phone rang. It was the lady who was showing me the ropes. She asked if I wanted to job share with her as she has three small boys and did not want to work full time when they went back to school. I thought to myself is she really asking me this.... uhh YES!! And thus I achieved my goal! I start September 1st and instead of front desk I will actually be assisting! For right now, I am working 7:30am - 1:00pm. Once expansion is complete (starts Oct. 1), I will be full time! I also get a $1.50 raise the first of the year! 


Show initiative, go out on limbs, strive to know more, donate your free time, and be flexible.... it will come in handy! 

until net time....

No comments:

Post a Comment