Do you have a schedule for what your hours are at work? I work commission and when I do not have a client on my books I am not required to sit at work and twiddle my thumbs. Why? Because I'm not getting paid a darn cent to sit there! With that said, the times I am required to be at work change every day. The only way to know what my schedule is...look at the main book on the desk. Which would be fine, except that the owners keep hiding the damn book!
Let me back up, last year one of the stylists that had been there the longest quit. They never replaced her and we just worked as a team of four. A few weeks ago, another long term stylist quit and bought a salon all of 2 blocks away. (Might I add that I am so happy and proud of her!) This is when paranoia severely consumed the brains of my two bosses. I am the lone stylist left with these two nuts who used to be fine (not amazing and wonderful but not scum either). It started when the first stylist left. We (3 stylists) asked to sit down with the two owners. We didn't want to pay $5 out of tips for the stupid water thing. Don't most businesses provide this to their employees or you just drink tap water! For goodness sakes that is what they give their clients...tap water! We wanted a website. Yup, 2010 and we still never had a website. Oh you expect people to just find you up on the 4th floor of a building? Interesting! We asked for price increases... which hadn't been done in YEARS! AND for commission to be higher than 50%. We no longer have to pay for water. We had a VERY basic website for a few months that is no longer online. And we were told our commissions would never be higher than 50% they just couldn't do that and had never heard of that before. REALLY?!? I was making 55% at my previous salon and was offered 65% from another salon owner who tried to steal me away. THEN, I find out they asked the stylist who just left to not mention it to me but that they were raising her to 55% because she is like family to them! I was suppose to have a haircut price increase in May that didn't happen either! And all the while here I still am working for them.
Last week, was pure frustration and rage (worse than anger). For the second time since the stylist left, I have gone into the salon to look at my schedule and it isn't there! The first time, I was trying to make an appointment for a friend and this time, I was trying to see if I could sub at the dentist office (more on that news later). I call them and the first time they said they needed them for quarterly taxes. I'm not stupid and went home to see when those were due and they were due two weeks prior. I didn't say anything but knew they were lying to me. This time they told me they left them in Bellingham at their loft cause they were consolidating. Then I find out they actually locked them in the maintenance closet and took the key with them. Lied again! They told me they would let me know first thing Tuesday morning what my schedule was. The salon opens at 10am and I finally had to call them at 11am to find out that I could have helped out at the dentist office! When I went in that afternoon, I brought an appointment book with me that I used at the previous salon I worked at. I wrote down my entire schedule in front of them. The bully of the two called me freaking out that no one had ever done that before and was I leaving. Then I get a second voicemail that they went through my station and found a spiral with my clients names and numbers in it. YES, you read that correct... they went through my belongings. He told me he owned the station and that I would have done the same thing if I were in his shoes. And on and on and on you can only imagine. He then threatened me and said that he spoke with his lawyer and it was illegal to go through his books and take that information if I was going to leave. I told him I wasn't and that the spiral had been in my station for a while (which it had). More stuff happened that week, and on Friday I went in on my day off to give them the spiral and appointment book and to stop harassing me. I told them I do not want to be friends with them and that this is strictly a paycheck for me. Here I sit on another Monday, I asked this morning at 10am if he could tell me what time I am in tomorrow. He told me he would let me know because he was going into his office today where the book was. It is now 5:40pm and only after I have sent a second text today did I finally receive my time. I need to make an appointment with the maintenance man for our townhouse to get a few things fixed and I couldn't do so because some inconsiderate people have the nerve to keep that information from me. How is it that my schedule could be such a secret! If I didn't need a paycheck from them....I would be LONG gone! Only 4 more months of this to put up with!
Thanks for listening!
until next time....
No comments:
Post a Comment