I have a favorite client at the salon. Her name is Dorothy Anderson and she is such an amazing woman! She is NINETY ONE YEARS OLD! Yes, you read that correctly. She still drives, she walks her neighborhood loop, she goes to yoga, she walks up the stairs to the salon, she recently was asked by UW to give a speech, she loves her family, she is a bridge fanatic, and she has touched me deeply.
This spunky and sassy woman came into my life four years ago. She sat down in my chair grabbed her hair and said, "Can you help this?!?!" She instantly made me smile and laugh but she was serious! She referred to her old stylist as a natzi that "made me have this haircut and it makes me look like a horse!" Our friendship began that day, and it has flourished since. She comes in every other week to get a clean up and haircut. She is always dressed pristinely including accessories! She has stories attached to each piece of jewelry and every article of clothing.
Last year, she turned 90! She threw herself this lavish party at her Condo complex. Yes, she still lives at her condo with no assistance! I was so honored to be invited. Ironically, she has family in Wenatchee that Nic knew! Her featured drink at the party was the "Dorotini." The woman loves a martini a day! I am not sure I would every make this drink again but I had to try one. One part Gin, one part Vodka, splash of lemon and lime.... blakkkk! I was thrilled to meet the family members she had talked so much about. I felt like I knew them all inside and out but had never met them. Each and every one of them was exactly how she illustrated them to be. Her favorite nephew, the bratty nieces, the adorable brother Corky, the evil sister in law, and so on but each one of them has deep love for her.
When you meet Dorothy, you instantly fall in love with her. When I got pregnant she called Brayden "our" baby. "How's our baby?" she would ask. Every time she left the salon she said, "Now you behave!" When I left for maternity leave the girls fought over who would do her hair! She is that much fun! She is like family to me and I checked in to see when Dorothy had been in last. The computer said November and that isn't too out of the ordinary. I knew she was going to Arizona for Thanksgiving and she leaves for a cruise or Hawaii for four weeks during the holiday's. She hates to be home for the holidays' and doesn't mind being alone in warm tropical places. She makes new friends on the cruises and plays bridge daily. I noticed she didn't have an appointment made in January and figured she was just waiting to find out when I was coming back in. When she hadn't called to make an appointment I knew something wasn't quite right. I worry about her all the time. She doesn't miss appointments because she turns into a Yeti... or so she says.
I emailed her a few weeks ago to touch base and she told me she had gotten the "big "c" word." She hasn't told me what kind of cancer and said it is just life. I called her this morning to check in. She said, "but I don't have a hair appointment"... she is very mentally with it! I told her I was just calling to say hi and see if she would like me to come to her home to trim her hair. She said no thanks and that she wasn't doing well. I tried to tell her that I missed her and she must not have heard me and said, "Okay bye bye." She hung up and tears welled up in my eyes. My fear is that I won't see her again. I just want her to meet Mr. B, our baby! She comes to the dental office I work at as well. I called the dental office today and was informed she has an appointment next Thursday. She confirmed the appointment and I will go crash it next week! I hope she remembers it and is well enough to go in because I really want to see her.
I just needed to get this all out in writing because I was having a rough moment. Getting old stinks!
**Update: She sent an email today that said "Hello- no visitors for a while." That was the entire email. I guess I won't be crashing her appointment and will wait it out. :(
until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment