Friday, November 4, 2011

March 2001 -- November 4, 2011










I miss him already!!!!
We got Larry bird in March of 2001... the no good very bad awful year. On January 2nd, 2001 our house burnt down. Yes, we lost everything including our pets. Mine was Bubba, the coolest cockatiel you had ever met! I LOVE birds. Once we were settled in our rental house, it was time to go to the pet store to see who would come home with us! In with the parakeets, was a lone lovebird. He was the "trial" lovebird. They wanted to see how he did alone... without a mate...usually they are in pairs. I knew he was the one! I named him Larry because I had these dreams he could play with a small basketball toy just like Larry Bird the real basketball player. He never did but that doesn't matter! He had lots of personality. As he got older, he didn't really care to be held. He liked to perch up on the window and look out at the other birds. He really liked sitting above the front door looking out the window and occasionally dangling from the chandelier...until we chased him back to his cage yelling LAAAARRRYYY!! He would gnaw at the front of his cage trying to get out. Once his door was opened, he would take off in flight in a giant circle to stretch out. He knew a few different whistles. He loved his treats... who doesn't! He had an unusual liking to his teddy bear...hip thrusting included...teddy had to be removed from the cage after a little bit. And most recently, he found a fond liking to the birds Dad played for him on youtube! He hated the vacuum or hands in his cage. However, he would let you poke his tummy or pet his beak... and if you are my brother then you could pet his head. I am really happy I was able to see his last weekend. He let me pet his head before I left to go back to Bham. I always said, "bye Larry" because I never knew when I wouldn't be able to say it again. My parents house is going to be quiet without him. We all walk in the door and yell, "HI LARRY whistle whistle whistle" but now he won't be there. Last night, he took a tumble to the bottom of his cage. He was stunned for about 20 min. trying to move. He attempted to climb his cage back to the top like usual but failed. Mom helped him back up but he was breathing hard. He refused his treat this morning and wasn't looking good. Matt went over right when he got off work and was going to bring him to the vet for me. Unfortunately, when he arrived it was too late. We both miss him already. I know mom will miss having her buddy to talk to when she is home during the day and dad will miss having his buddy at the computer! I know he is happy flying around and in a better place...but that doesn't make it easier.

until next time...   

No comments:

Post a Comment