Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I like that boom boom POW

Mom's 22
I have been around guns since I was born. That giant steel box taking up room in the house safeguarded dad's prized possessions! When we lived in NY, dad had a target in the backyard that he shot the bow at. These weapons have been around me for 26 years and I have NEVER had the urge to pick one up! In fact, they scared the poo out of me! Who wouldn't jump to a giant BOOOOM noise!?!? Or hearing stories about how some guy broke open his eyebrow from the kickback???? Kickback....no thank you...I like staying upright! However, I was a little bit tomboy. I thought it was soooo cool when dad showed us the insides of a dear. I also experienced joy when dad brought home a squirrel's tail for me. Yes, somehow I thought these things were AMAZING when I was little. (I don't think those things are cool anymore...in fact that is sick that I played with squirrel tails!) I have never liked to eat venison. Eww that meat is NASTY! When I was little, my parents tried to trick me. They thought I associated venison with bambi and that was the reason I didn't like it. Mom put it in stew one night and I told her this meat didn't taste good and I didn't like it. I caught her trying to feed me venison and she finally believed me that I didn't like the taste! 
Dad recently bought two new guns and a couple weekends ago wanted to go shoot them. He thought he was telling me this information because Nic would want to go. However, I surprised him when I told him, "I wanna come too!" I thought we were going to be inside. You know, nice and warm. The place where the target has a remote that brings it back to you. I was WRONG! We were outside in the cold and it was doing the typical misty rain. Although, I cannot complain because I didn't have to go out in the rain...I was completely spoiled. Dad and Nic put my targets up for me each time. I started with the Colt M4 Carbine 22LR...yes, you guessed it, I have had to ask Nic multiple times, "what was that bigger gun called?" I admit, I was relatively frightened when we got all set up. The giant BOOM noise was right next to me! I tensed each time the guy pulled his trigger. I even had ear protection on! I sucked it up and sat down after learning how to load and shoot. I shot 10 bullets while Nic and dad set up at the far end with the 45, 22, and revolver. I was not allowed to shoot the 45 or revolver. Dad told me I would get sent on my a--. After 10 bullets, my thoughts were "this isn't really fun." I walked down to Nic and told him it was boring! That is when Michelle, works with my dad and also works at the range, made things lots of fun! She put up balloons on my target! After I got those, one of the other guys put up an IV bag for me to shoot down. Then, Michelle put up these exploding targets on the spinners! I did so good! Dad couldn't believe I could hit the spinners with an open site so far away...I showed him! I think they left me alone too long because I became really great at loading the 30 magazine (clip) and unloading it at my targets! Errr... I went through 500 rounds of amo! OOPS! I had more fun with the M4 than the 22 pistol. Probably because the pistol was harder to stay accurate on.  Mom now calls me Annie Oakley and surprisingly I would go back again! 


probably trying to pop balloons! 

No comments:

Post a Comment