Sunday, November 20, 2011

Greed


Last night at church, I thought to myself, "Oh geeeeeze here we go again, Pastor Bob is talking just to me!" (really he was talking to everyone but there are those times when he nails exactly what life has been shelling out) An appetite for destruction...GREED. It is a battle for control when it comes to greed. And to be quite frank, I think my husband and I do a pretty darn good job at keeping it under control. Yes, we are human and slip up but with that said there aren't too many slip ups! We live a life of cash and envelopes. That is our control. And although some don't agree with it, and make us feel ashamed at times to bring out the envelope in public, it keeps me from being greedy! (thank you to those who don't agree and don't say anything) I am proud of us and our friends who use this same tactic. The cashier at Fred Meyer saw the "grocery" envelope and said, "doesn't that just put things into perspective of how much we spend!" Yes, yes it does and we do not need to spend all that money on frivolous stuff! There is money each month that we could add to the "fun stuff" envelope, but we don't need anymore in there. Instead, we tithe. We sponsor a child in Ethiopia so she has food, education, a better life. I don't need an extra pair of shoes or to go out to eat a few more times a month. I am not saying we don't have fun. We go out with friends to happy hour, dinner, movies, coffee, etc, but we keep it within reason. For me, living life to the fullest is not about blowing all our money on ourselves so we can have the biggest and best of everything but rather giving back. The antidote to greed is generosity.
  MAKE YOUR SACRIFICES BE INTENTIONAL!

until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment