“I was taught that the world had a lot of problems; that I could struggle and change them; that intellectual and material gifts brought the privilege and responsibility of sharing with others less fortunate; and that service is the rent each of us pays for living, the very purpose of life and not something you do in your spare time or after you have reached your personal goals.” Marian Wright Edelman
Project Homeless- The mission of Project Homeless ConnectTM (PHC) is to connect Bellingham's homeless with the system of care that will help them move off the streets and into housing. The goal is to have all the homeless off the streets in the next 5 years. Everyone has a story...
My heart was warmed and a bright smile was deposited on my face to see all the volunteers at Project Homeless. I feel privileged to have been able to participate and volunteer in a program that possesses a sizeable impact for the homeless in our own backyard, Whatcom County.
I was excited and geared up to help wherever I was needed throughout the day. Originally, I was supposed to be working the referral station. This was composed of handing out vouchers, free bus tickets, and informing guests where they could find further medical and dental help that wasn’t available on site. For example, we had a few people ask us where they could get their dentures realigned. We then explained the process of how they could go to Interfaith or Seymour and make an appointment or arrive at 7:30 AM in hopes that at some point throughout the day they had a cancelled appointment. I can only imagine how frustrating this information would be for someone. I felt sympathetic for these people who were seeking help but couldn’t receive services for at least a few weeks out or by sitting around all day in hopes that another person didn’t show up or cancelled their appointment.
After being at referral for a short period, I jumped into triage. This station involved exams and taking radiographs. I enjoyed this position because I was able to connect with our guests. I guided each guest from the waiting area to our make shift operatory and reviewed medical and dental history before their exams began. I could visibly see one individual was nervous. I asked him the basics of how his day was going, if he had plans for the rest of the day, and if he had any questions. He didn’t have any questions but did tell me he was extremely scared of pain and needles. I told him he could take a few deep breaths because neither of those things were going to happen here at our station. I immediately saw relief in his eyes and he began to tell me all about his life. He did need two teeth extracted and when I found him later on that day he told me it was not as bad as he anticipated it to be.
After lunch, I found myself in one of the dental vans. I was in awe of this mobile home turned dental office! Once I was in the van, I didn’t feel I was helping the homeless as much as I was learning about dental procedures. Since we were working with a laid back dentist, I was able to assist chair side on a guest who needed root tips extracted. I was eager and apprehensive at the same time. I was worried I wouldn’t do something right and hurt the guest! It turned out to be just fine except for forgetting to put on proper PPE (mask and eye wear I quickly put it on about 5 min into the appointment! I was too excited!)…oops! It was amazing to see how a few tools can loosen and pull out roots of a tooth! The Dr. put in some stitches and gave the patient some ibuprofen and antibiotics. We could see an infection in his gums where an abscess was clearly formed and causing pain to the patient. The patient told me he wished kids knew what drugs do to your mouth. The Dr. said they do and think that it won't happen to them. Why do we always think we are the exception?
It wasn't just dental that was being offered. There was medical both physical and mental. Volunteers from social security, DOL, and opportunity council were there. Ciao Thyme (who did the food for my rehearsal dinner... they can make dirt taste good) provided lunch for all the homeless and volunteers! The Bellingham Beauty School students volunteered their time giving haircuts! There were over 300 volunteers trying to reach out to the over 1,100 homeless in Whatcom County.
I saw a few of the guests that I helped as we were wrapping things up. The guy who had the teeth pulled turned out to be the husband of one of the women who we provided services to in the van. They were walking up the hill as Amanda and I were walking down. They had big smiles spread across their faces and bounce in their step. We said hi and asked how the rest of their day was going. The woman said, "Don't we look good? Look at my husband and his new haircut! Doesn't he look handsome?" I flashed a smile and said, "Yes he does!!!!!" and she said, "I better watch out now especially for you...he's mine!" Of course she was joking around with us, but it was something special to see them feel like kings and queens for a day! As I think back on the experience, I’m humbled by how thankful all the guests were. Each and every one of them thanked us for everything we were doing. They expressed gratitude and had a sense of humor. I was happy to be able to help relieve their physical pain permanently and the mental pain for at least one day. It was never about an opportunity to learn more about dental. However, it was about connecting with those in my community that could use a helping hand. I wanted to lend a hand to all who needed a crutch and an ear to those who needed to talk. And if along the way I helped with their dental needs, it was an added bonus!
 |
No comments:
Post a Comment