Friday, December 3, 2010

Jamaica mon...no problem!

After many long hours spent in airports and airplanes... we made it to Montego Bay. As we arrived and made our way past customs, which was a breeze, we walked outside to find Kipson our driver holding a sign with "Nic" on it. We laughed and Nic said he always wanted someone to hold a sign with his name on it. They hurried us out the door and said wait here as they grabbed the van. Then another guy told Nic if you want a beer you can get one there and smoke too if you want it. That was just the first time we were offered what we later referred to as the vitamin G aka marijuana. I lost count how many times we were asked if we needed some vitamin G. We took our open red stripe (official jamaican beer) beers in the van and Kipson took us to the RUI resort, a whole 10 min from the airport!

We spent that evening exploring the resort and getting comfy. The next morning we talked to a nice lady about the different activities. We signed up for Dunnes river falls and put our name out there if anyone wanted to join us for fishing. We then went to the dive shop and tried to figure out a day to go out and dive. Nic has his certification but I didn't, so I had to sign up for the pool session before I could go out. I've gotten used to Mexican time where everything tends to run late and now I know what Jamaican time is. Where they say "yah mon maybe we do that tomorrow just depends mon." They are rather laid back and never give you answers and for a planner like me I got frustrated. The first part of the week had some wind so diving was up to the weather God's as well as fishing. But don't worry we managed to get both in!

We did our first dive, yes there was more than one, and I thought it was so much fun! We went down 30 feet and saw gorgeous coral, brightly colored fish, sting rays as they shook the sand off themselves and floated away, and I didn't panic once! I did get stung by a jelly fish but it only stung for a short bit. The dive master said I did so well that I should really think about getting certified. I didn't have enough time there to take the advanced course but I did get open water certified. I can go down to 40 feet with a dive master present! Our second dive was even better than the first because I remember to look around more and it was only Nic and I instead of a group. We swam throughout the coral and in between it, curious fish pop out of holes in the coral to check you out, we saw a lobster (he was dead), sand dollars, more sting rays and I passed my skills! Just as we had gotten back in the boat 2 dolphins swam up and it took everything in me not to jump back in the water!!


We decided to do a half day of bottom fishing instead of deep sea because I was afraid I would get sea sick again. When we were in Mexico two years ago I didn't fair too well in the 8 foot rolling sea. Nic, myself, and Colin, our new UK friend, set sail to find the big one. As we were going out, we were trolling...this is done in deep sea not bottom fishing... and I started to get a wee bit nervous that we were not going bottom fishing. Bottom fishing is less expensive than deep sea and we had already paid so I didn't fret too much until 20 min later we were heading out to open ocean...GULP! The captain had other plans in mind and he wanted to go deep sea fishing and so I gritted my teeth and didn't say anything. I did NOT get sick and we had so much fun! Here's a picture of our loot and a me fighting a fish...er he didn't really fight much so it was easy to smile big for the camera. I caught one mahi mahi, Nic caught two, and Colin caught one and a sailfish.


Our last activity was Dunnes River Falls, 900ft of cascading waterfalls that you can climb up. The boat took at least 50 people out snorkeling first. Visibility wasn't too great and the current could have washed you away if you weren't careful. Then we went to the falls. It was gorgeous and so much fun to climb them. I don't have any pictures yet to prove our journey but after I get the water camera developed I will post some. Then we got back on the boat for "party" as the Jamaicans call it. They love their party and rum. We met a couple from North Dakota at our resort that did this trip as well. We became friends with them and hit it off. While Jen was getting sea sick, Mitch her husband was bringing mine rum and punch by the two. They were quite happy by the end of the trip! Ask for the full story when you see us next! Nic is going to try and visit Mitch and Jen when he heads out to North Dakota for labs this summer. I wish they lived closer...they were lots of fun!

We also met two Jamaican guys, Kevine and Jermaine and their wife and girlfriend, Joyita and Char. On the Wednesday of our trip, the six of us had dinner at the Italian restaurant at the resort. Jermaine proposed to Char this night. It was pretty cute and we had lots of fun! Once again if you want the detailed version let me know...because this post is already too long!

Our honeymoon was a blast with lots of sun, giggles, drinks, finding shells (my most favorite thing to do at the beach and my husbands new addiction), new friends, sippin coconuts, gorgeous color filled sunsets, great sand, and a pact that we will go back on our 10th anniversary...so long as it is still as nice as when we went this time!
 The store in the lobby had a sale on black Friday hahahha
 The beach!
 Jermaine Char Nic Me Kevine Joyita
 Nic Me Jen Mitch
 The view from our room
 Rum and Punch
 The loot

Kissy kissy mister fishy
Red stripe!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment