....Better known as the holidays! I always kind of dreaded getting married because of what the holidays would mean. Going to this house, driving to that house, seeing this family, running around to make sure we've covered all the bases...but forgetting to enjoy and soak it all in at the same time. Maybe I set myself up with this thinking, but our first holidays as a married couple were not a let down to my expectations.
DISCLAIMER: I REALLY DID HAVE A GREAT TIME AND LOVED SEEING EVERYONE...REMEMBER THIS STATEMENT AS I CONTINUE!
I've come to understand why Nic is so laid back and go with the flow. You have to be when you are a part of his family. One side of his family has a very and I mean VERY tough time making plans and sticking to them. This is problem number one for me. I will be working on being more flexible but for goodness sakes can't someone make a single plan that doesn't change! The plans changed for Christmas Eve as we were literally pulling into town the night of the 23rd...which did not start me in a very happy mood. I was quickly snapped back into reality, told myself to suck it up and dry the tears because we're here and there is no turning back! We stopped at Nic's aunt and uncle's to say hi and play a few games. I adore his Aunt and Uncle! They are a hoot and their kids are amazing. They feel like they have been my cousins forever! We headed to Kyle's, one of Nic's good friends, and then home to his mom's where we stayed that night.
I was slightly agitated because I wanted to start making our own traditions as a family, just Nic and I. I still wish we could have driven over to Wenatchee on Christmas Eve and drank hot chocolate and done our stockings at our place that morning. However, Becky and Bob each had to work Christmas Eve and so we had their house to ourselves that morning to share some alone time and give each other our stockings. We then spent some time with Ben and Jodi at their house. That girl can make a mean breakfast! I really wish they lived closer to us! A tasty Mexican lunch, with Becky and Bob was enjoyed next. Then a few errands and me picking my next battle.
I try to choose my battles. Is it really that important or can I let it go? I was trying to figure out how to mesh what Nic has known Christmas to be and what I know Christmas to be without stepping on too many toes. A few got crunched but that's life! I wanted two things....stocking alone time check and to go to church. Christmas mass was always my favorite! The small kids were so excited, the advent candles were all finally lit, you searched the crowd to find familiar faces, you dressed up and you were with your family. Nothing else mattered once I was there. Nic however does not do church on Christmas. Yes, I thought the same thing. How in the world do you go to church every week but not on Christmas. Very backwards to the norm and made me giggle a little inside! I am religious and it was Jesus birthday and I was going to church to remind myself what this whirlwind few days was really about. Nic realized it was important to me and we found a service that worked with what the plans were for the rest of the day. No, it wasn't the normal mass I am used to....BUT...it made me smile big and feel like it really was Christmas and not just another day. I actually saw ONE person we knew and the kids were antsy with excitement. The message was short and the holiday songs weren't the ones we always sing and I didn't care! My husband even wore his khaki's instead of jeans or carharts and he probably has no idea how much that meant to me as well. He looks so good dressed up and he doesn't know it.
We scurried over to his aunt and uncles with the rest of his dad's side of the family for the annual crab feed. After dinner we exchanged gifts, played games, and visited! I am currently wearing my new slippers, already used my scrapbook paper and new cricut cartridge to make a thank you card, and bought a new years shirt with the monetary gift! It was a really fun night!
As I went to bed that night, I thought about my family at home. I missed out on the Chinese food. Yes, dad has to have his Chinese food before mass...they are the only restaurant open on Christmas Eve. I missed father puffer cheeks boring gospel....I wish our old priest was still there to bring out the camel and fun Christmas stories! I wasn't there to hear the words at 9:30pm, "Okay Stef, get in your room cause Santa is coming!" He's an old guy now so he has to come early so he can go bed. It was a lot of fun to be around tons of family but I missed just having it be my mom dad and brother.
I still woke up at 5am on Christmas morning. I was excited but confused Christmas morning. I can't jump on the whole family and wake them up. I don't think Bob would have appreciated that very much. No one to tell me to go away and come back once the oven was turned on and coffee started. So I tried to go back to sleep. I woke up again at 6am. Should I call my parents house and wake them up now? No, that would be mean. At 6:45 I couldn't lay there anymore. I woke up Nic and at 7am called home. they thought they could get away from me but they were wrong!
We did a little skype, opened up our stockings, ate cinnamon rolls, drank mimosas, and enjoyed the morning. I was glad we woke up at his mom's house because she reminds me of my mom and I needed that! We were on the road again by 10:45am to journey over the pass and thru the woods to mommy and daddy's house we go! I was sooooo excited to get home and be in my element!
I asked them to not open ALL their presents before we got there...I was too late with my request to my brother so he had to sit and watch when we opened ours. I didn't want us to open ours and have everyone staring at us. That isn't fun and I like to see everyone's faces when they open their presents too! Spoiled as I say or privlaged as my dad says...choose whichever you feel fit, but Santa was good to us....guess that means we were good this year too! We have gift cards from extended family to go spend, I already started using my new coach purse from my grandparents, my flip camera is already getting me into trouble with my brother, the jewelry tree is already full (does that mean I have too many necklaces and earrings? just askin), already used my sephora gift card, cute clothes will be worn for new years, I did two workouts yesterday and used my new foam roller to stretch my muscles back out, and Nic will use the helmet camera to catch me falling on the mountain!
Year one down...a few glitches, new adjustments, smiles and laughs, quality family time, and a very Merry Christmas!
And we're off to Whistler tomorrow! I'll post some pics and flip video's on the next post!
Until next time...
I can't believe you look forward to the Christmas Mass. My brothers and I hated it. Not that we ever really enjoyed mass to begin with, but add a large amount of people that never go to church except for Christmas, lots of crying children, and no seats unless you get there 30 minutes early, so you stand for the hour. It was never fun, except for our old Priest who did tell the best stories. Once he left Christmas Mass was NEVER the same.
ReplyDeleteI say next year we boycott driving around the world for Christmas and do our own thing.