Thursday, June 2, 2011

Aches...Sniffles...Cough Cough


If you saw a picture of me on Monday morning that right there is what I would have looked like. I woke up in tears at 2 AM with a throat so raw I did not want to swallow! We were at my parents house so I crawled into my brother's bed (he doesn't live at home...no I did not crawl into bed with him...just used his bed) and tried to drift back to sleep. MAJOR FAIL! Finally at 6:15 AM I woke up Nic and could barely talk. I was drugged all day and my aches felt better as long as I was poppin pills every 4 hours. I asked Nic if that was what it felt like to be 80 yrs old! When we went to bed Monday night, Nic said if I had white spots on my throat in the morning I was going to the doctor. When my dad looked at my throat on Monday, there were no white spots. Well, that was not the case Tuesday morning. Side note: I don't have a job that gives sick days nor do I have a job that provides paid vacation. When I don't go in.. I don't get paid. Hence, why I am going back to school. This was also finals week so missing school wasn't really an option either! Okay, back to the story. I haven't been to the doctor since I had strep and mono back in college. And I was 19 so I still went to the pediatric Dr. I had... she was nice and I didn't want to go to the big people Dr. So, I have insurance through Nic and we called Peace Health our preferred provider. After being on hold for 40 min, I finally tried calling again and got through to someone. I said that I was a new patient and that I thought I had strep. This is what the wonderful (sarcasm) lady said to me... "Oh you are a new patient...pause...well we don't have an appointment open for you today we have openings for new patients mid June." Oh geeze, you did not really tell this girl who is in pain that you have an opening in 2 weeks!!! I said well now that doesn't really help does it? I told her Nic has a Dr. there and that didn't change anything!!! Seriously, what if I said was giving birth and was a new patient? Would I still get, oh we have an opening mid June for you just hold off! I told her thank you for not helping and hung up. Nic found another Dr. for me and I went in. side note: Thank goodness for my husband he has been amazing!!! 

Here is the story of the Dr's visit:
I haven't gone to a male Dr. but this was the only person that would take a new patient and get me in! The nurse was really nice. She asked all the lovely health questions and put them into my chart. Of course the Dr. comes in and asked about 50 of the same questions. I told him why I was there and he goes over the questions of are you on any medications? Are you allergic to any meds? Etc. I told him I am not allergic and nor am I on any meds. He then turns and looks at me and says... "Birth Control?" I say NOPE! And then he goes into this 15 min ordeal about how you have to use foam with condoms because that is 98% effective and you can't just use condoms alone. HOLD UP MISTER!!! I felt like I was 16 in sex ed class! I came here for my throat not to talk about my sex life!!! The Dr. knew I was married... knew I was 25....so what is the deal! We aren't trying to have kids at the moment but what if we were and that was why I wasn't on birth control. Or what if it was for a religious reason.. it isn't.. but what if! What if I just don't think we should be able to control our bodies!! And then try telling this to a MALE Dr.   

Turns out, I don't have strep. On Wednesday morning, I woke up still with aches, throat pain, and severely congested head and chest! Oh and I had the sweats since Monday! Today, Thursday, right ear pain has joined the other symptoms. Last night, I slept in our spare bedroom for half the night because I couldn't sleep. I went to school on Wednesday and today for finals. Today was my first day back to work... even though the Dr. told me not to until tomorrow...oops! I hope that when I wake up tomorrow all of this is gone! I have drank more tea than I ever have in my life and popped so many pills I've lost track! Here is to hoping tomorrow is better and that Dr's can get some common sense!

until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment