Thursday, February 24, 2011

Asking for help

We are in this series called "Clarity" in church. Where we are suppose to ask ourselves the "best question ever" and this would be "What is the wise thing?" For example, our tax return came earlier this week. Do we go buy some items we really want to have but don't really need. (that was always my favorite line when I really wanted to have something... "But mom I don't want it I need it!) Or do we throw it all at student loans making us just inches away from saying we only have 4 digit debt not 5? What do you think we did? Duh! do you know who I am? We paid $6000.00 to stafford loans. Oh, I bet they hate us now because they aren't getting interest on that huge chunk anymore! LOVE IT! The rest will go into savings because we aren't sure if I will be able to work all of July due to my externship. I need to be working right now in order for us to keep paying tuition out of pocket and not taking out any more loans. Random thought: We have paid off 39% of Nic's UND student loans (our last remaining debt) since September...yes in 6 months...do you think there is a person on the other end going how are they doing this?!?!? I'd like to think there is, because I'm proud of us!

In my small group we talked about what are some reasons people make unwise decisions. Is it your emotions? Are they addictions? How do you describe the difference between wise and unwise living? We decided if you ask "What are our motives" you'll quickly find the answer. It's a difference of Godly  vs Worldly.

If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer
proverbs 9: 12

Last week we got into the nitty gritty of it all. "What is the wise thing?" now had three parts: In light of my past experiences, my present reality, and my future hopes and dreams. Which then tied into this week of which path do you choose? The principle of the path is this...Every path leads somewhere, a destination. The direction you are currently traveling relationally, spiritually, financially, physically etc will determine where you end up in each of those areas. That destination may be good, beneficial and healthy, or it may be destructive, painful and filled with regret. When we get on a path and go the direction it leads, we will predictably arrive at a destination. it can bring you to a place of great fulfillment or great disappointment. We often look for a solution when what is really needed is a new direction!

Here is where my problem lies... I always think that I know what's best and SURPRISE I don't! Why do we think that we know better than God does? Why do I constantly get in his way and take charge instead of asking him to show me?
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3
I was talking to a friend the other day about tithing (a whole other can of worms to explore for another day). I asked her how I am expected to give 10% of our income right now and trust that this is what we are suppose to do. That if I don't the bible basically says I'm stealing. (once again this post will take 2 hours to read if I get any deeper into this matter!) I said to her that we sponsor a child and I do volunteer work... does that count? And you know what she said to me... "Have you asked God?" Well.... no.... and I felt sheepish and thought to myself "why didn't I think of that!" I'm good at going to church and practicing what is preached (for the most part) but I don't talk to God very often and I won't know him unless I start! So, for the first time on Monday I asked him to please open and close some doors for us. I struggle in Bellingham. It has never quite felt like home. I don't have complete ease and comfort here. I have been banking on the fact that it will be tough for Nic to find his ideal job here once he is done with school and we can move! Lots of engineering jobs in Redmond and Kirkland! I can go HOME! Nic has said he is ready for a move too. Last night God said otherwise to my genius plans! I have an interview tomorrow for an assistant position at an endo office that I am under qualified for but who knows kill em with charm and I might get it! I am shocked I even was offered an interview since I am not done with the program yet! I know, I know, I was the one who had the chat with God about opening and closing doors and he sure did make it clear where our path is. Funny how just asking for some guidance can change everything! And all we are left with, is one path to follow!

until next time.....

3 comments:

  1. This was very good for me to read today, considering the path I have recently taken with my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Jodi I thought of you several times while writing this one. I would say you are on the right path at the moment. It's a tough one and many would have turned their backs and said they know better, but you took it head on without hesitation!! Lots of love to you and strength to keep on truckin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is funny isn't it! I hope your interview went well. I think if we keep trusting it, everything does fall into place (or at least that's what I tell my self).

    ReplyDelete